Scholarly Metrics : Web of Science
- Covers extensive time period and journal range
- Most thoroughly indexed data and disambiguated authors
- Can only compare 10,000 resources at a time (may be problematic when looking for instutional/journal h-index)
- Fewer interactive tools compared to other options (e.g., Scopus)
Tutorials and Help
- Ability to create citation report which has a breakdown of times cited by year, h-index, average citation per year, and sum of non-self citations for the author.
- Use selection and refining tools to dissambiguate from other authors.
- Creates a map of citations going forward, backward, or both from the article you search for.
- Ability to view information for each citation in the map and subsequently create a new citation map for those records as well.
- Option to change display of the map.
- Run search for the number of times an article has been cited.
- Display of possible variants on article/author name to help with selection of all records of this article.
- Access to records and/or full text of articles that have cited the text you are searching.
- Ability to create citation report which has a breakdown of times cited by year, h-index, average citation per year, and sum of non-self citations for the articles citing the text.
- Option to create a Citation Alert.
Other metrics-related tools
InCites: Journal Citation Reports (JCR) is available through Web of Science Core Collection interface, or directly here:
It offers these features:
- Option to search Science or Social Sciences Edition of JCR together or separately.
- Can select the year you wish to view the JCR from.
- Ability to view and seach by journal title or category. Additional
option to analyze impact by Categories by Rank or Journals by Rank, with
a visualization map that lists aggregate impact factor, number of
journals in each category, title changes, and offers a comparison of
- Record offers visualizations and graphs to show rank, box plot, journal relationships, and more.
- Journal record lists abbreviated title of journal, ISSN, Total Cites, Impact Factor, 5-Year Impact Factor, Eigenfactor Score and Article Influence Score for 2007-present, Immediacy Index, and Cited Half Life.
It offers these features:
- Citation Rankings for research fields, authors, institutions, countries, and journals.
- Information on "Highly Cited Papers," "Hot Papers," "Top Papers," and "Research Fronts."
- Citation Analysis is offered on "baselines" (including averages per
field, percentiles, and field rankings) and "research fronts."
- Graphs to show citation impact for each selection and also a map displaying amount of papers per geographical location.
Web of Science - Scholarly Metrics - Research Guides at New York University