Restoring EndNote Tools in MS Word
In this guide:
Updating/reinstalling Word deletes the EndNote‐menu related files. A
possible solution involves opening Word and following these steps [Note: Pictured example uses Word 2007 -- see below for Word 2010 and 2013]:
To restore EndNote tools in Word 2010-2013:
- Click on the File menu and select Options
- Click on Add-ins
- Change the Manage options to Disabled Items
- Click Go
- Highlight any EndNote item(s) and click Enable [Note: if no EndNote items are present, download the latest updates from the EndNote web site http://www.endnote.com/enword2k7.asp ]
- Click OK
Restoring EndNote Tools in Word for MacIntosh Computers
A patch for EndNote X7 is being developed to fix the
compatibility issue, with a release anticipated for Fall 2015. EndNote
has recommended the following temporary solution to help Microsoft
Office 365 users continue to create formatted citations and
bibliographies in Microsoft Word: http://endnote.com/kb/136020
To restore Macintosh EndNote Tools in Word 2011:
- Install the EndNote X4.0.2 update from http://endnote.com/support/enupdates.asp
- Open EndNote, and go to the EndNote menu. Select Customizer from the EndNote menu. Check the box in front of the Cite While You Write option. Click next until the Customizer is finished. Open a library. Then open Word and check the Tools menu for the EndNote submenu.
- Close Word and EndNote.
- Open your hard drive and go to the folder: EndNote X-: Applications:EndNote X-:Cite While You Write
- Copy the file EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle
- Go to the folder Applications:Microsoft Office 2011:Office:Startup:Word and paste the copied file
- Start Word, go to Word > Preferences and click on File Locations
- Make sure the Startup folder is set by highlighting Startup and clicking on Modify. Select the folder Applications:Microsoft Office 2011:Office:Startup:Word and click Choose
- Click OK and close Word.
- Start EndNote and then start Word.
- Change Word Preferences so it will not automatically open up the document gallery (which can prevent EndNote from connecting)
Missing EndNote Toolbar in Word - EndNote Library Management - LibGuides at University of Toledo Libraries