Altmetrics and Citation Analysis
- Altmetric / alternative indicator data sources: Get data from Mendeley (reference manager), Altmetric.com (a range of altmetrics), Google Books, and WorldCat.
- Web indicators: syllabus mention searches, patent citation searches, presentation citation searches, grey literature searches, web citation and URL citation searches from the general web.
- Indicator formulae: Citation, web, Mendeley, Altmetric.com and alternative indicator calculations for research evaluation.
- Free citation databases: Dimensions API queries; Microsoft Academic searches and Microsoft Academic API key sign up instructions.
Social Web Analysis
- Social web data sources: YouTube [see also network example], Twitter [see also networks, Twitter images, Tumblr images and timelines] and Flickr.
- Downloading and counting tweeted images or Tumblr images. Downloading Google Image Search images.
Link Analysis and WebometricsFor automatic Web searches in Webometric Analyst, please sign up for a Bing Cognitive Services v7 key first. Webometric Analyst uses URL citations or title mentions instead of hyperlink searches for network diagrams, link impact reports, and web environment networks. See also the discussion of link analysis in Webometric Analyst.
- Web Impact Reports of the number of times each of a set of words, phrases or documents have been mentioned online [What's this?]
- Link (cite) Impact Reports of the number of web pages and web sites that cite one or more web sites or pages [What's this?]
- Network diagrams of the (cite) links between a collection of web sites [What's this?] or Twitter conversations, or YouTube commenters.
- Web Environment Networks of an individual web site [what's this?] [see examples]
- Google custom search sign up.
- Thelwall, M. & Sud, P. (2011). A comparison of methods for collecting web citation data for academic organisations. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 62(8), 1488–1497.
- Thelwall, M., Sud, P., & Wilkinson, D. (2012). Link and co-inlink network diagrams with URL citations or title mentions. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 63(4),805-816.
- Thelwall, M., & Sud, P. (2012). Webometric research with the Bing Search API 2.0. Journal of Informetrics, 6(1), 44-52.
- See also a link analysis report example for Ontario Health Promotion.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Comparing search markets or Using multiple search markets for a single search
- The network drawing component
- Spam removal from link results