manager, employee, researcher or student, you most probabely need to
summarize some documents. For short text-documents it would be an easy
tast but what if you have a document of at least 100 pages in hand and
very restrict deadline? One of your choice could be AutoSummarize
function of MS word.
in a document. AutoSummarize works best on well-structured documents,
such as reports, articles, and scientific papers.
in Microsoft Office Word 2007, you need to add AutoSummary Tools to the
Quick Access Toolbar.
analyzing the document and assigning a score to each sentence. Sentences
that contain words used frequently in the document are given a higher
score. You then choose a percentage of the highest-scoring sentences to
display in the summary.
points in a document, insert an executive summary or abstract at the top
of a document, create a new document and put the summary there, or hide
everything but the summary.
hide everything but the summary, you can switch between displaying only
the key points in a document (the rest of the document is hidden) and
highlighting them in the document. As you read, you can also change the
level of detail at any time.
- Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
- Click Customize.
- In the list under Choose commands from, click All Commands.
- Scroll through the list of commands until you see AutoSummary Tools.
- Click AutoSummary Tools, and then click Add.
- The AutoSummary Tools button now appears in the Quick Access Toolbar.
Automatically summarize a document
- On the Quick Access Toolbar, click AutoSummary Tools, and then click AutoSummarize.
- Select the type of summary that you want.
- In the Percent of original box, type
or select the level of detail to include in the summary. Select a higher
percentage of the original document to include more detail.
- If you don’t want AutoSummarize to
replace your existing keywords and comments in the document properties,
clear the Update document statistics check box.
To cancel a summary in progress, press ESC.
After you create your summary, review it to make sure it covers your
document’s key points. Keep in mind that the summary text is a rough
draft, and you will probably need to fine-tune it.
your responsibility. You should review the accuracy of any summary
because it is, by its nature, not the entirety of the work.
Research Tools | Northlands